All grades and ages | 75 minutes
Life is diverse, exciting, and incredibly beautiful. During this program, your class will have the opportunity to touch and observe museum specimens while practicing sketching and drawing skills. We will pull out specimens and stories focused on BC Biodiversity, including familiar neighbours from the lower mainland.
There is no need to bring drawing materials, but if your class has a current sketching practice, please encourage them to bring sketching pads, pencils, and other materials that they wish to work with. If you bring in paper or pads, ensure that students have sufficient room to make many sketches on blank paper. Let us know your class’ comfort level with sketching – all levels are welcome!
Please review the museum’s policy on artists in the museum for more information.
- Arts Education K-1: Develop processes and technical skills in a variety of art forms to nurture motivation, development, and imagination
- Arts Education 2: Develop processes and technical skills in a variety of art forms to refine artistic abilities, reflect on creative processes and make connections to other experiences
- Arts Education 3-5: Connect knowledge and skills from other areas of learning in planning, creating, and interpreting works for art
- Arts Education 6-7: Demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of personal, social, cultural, historical, and environmental contexts in relation to the arts; interpret creative works using knowledge and skills from various areas of learning
- Arts Education 8-12: A variety of content links can be explored during this program.
Many of our Educator Resources can support your visit. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Colouring sheets
- How to Draw a Blue Whale
- How to Draw Krill
- Word Search
Scavenger Hunts and Museum Activities
We suggest using a scavenger hunt before or after your program to help students explore the museum in a guided way.
- What’s in each collection?
- Describing and Drawing Organisms
- Adaptation Creation
- Extending the Field Trip
Please visit our Educator Resources page to download these materials.