Share your love of the natural world with others by joining the Beaty Biodiversity Museum’s volunteer team!
The Beaty Biodiversity Museum is a public museum dedicated to enhancing the public’s understanding and appreciation of biodiversity, and making the research conducted by the scientists of UBC’s Biodiversity Research Centre more accessible to the public. Volunteers play a vital role in helping the museum achieve this mission.
Why Volunteer at the Beaty?
- Work with experienced museum staff, UBC biodiversity researchers, and like-minded volunteers
- Learn about biodiversity and current research through training and development opportunities
- Invitations to special volunteer appreciation events and ongoing training opportunities
- Receive complimentary admission to the museum, along with other discounts and perks
- Enhance your resume, and gain references after reaching a minimum number of hours
Am I Eligible?
- Minimum age: you must be at least 16 years old
- Commitment: varies based on each opportunity, but in general, we expect a minimum of four, 4.5 hour shifts per month
- Screening and training: you must be able to participate in a face-to-face interview and attend a training session, see the position descriptions for dates and times.
- Communication requirements: for all positions that interact with the public, you must feel comfortable speaking English. Volunteers are expected to actively start conversations with visitors.
- You must be willing to obtain a criminal record check
Current Volunteer Opportunities
There are no open volunteer opportunities. Our next volunteer recruitment will take place in fall 2017.
The Beaty hosts a wide variety of volunteers. Please check back on this page for new opportunities, or send us an email to be notified of our next recruitment.
If you’d like to see an example of a past position description, please click here to read about our Museum Education volunteers.
How do I apply?
Step 1: Check our current volunteer opportunities to find a volunteer role that fits your skills and interests.
Step 2: Complete the online volunteer application form before the deadline.
Step 3: You will receive an email confirmation that your application has been submitted. If there is a suitable volunteer opportunity for you, we will contact you by email to set up a time for a group face-to-face interview.
Step 4: Attend the group interview.
Step 5: If we are able to match your skills and interests with an existing volunteer position, you will be invited to join our volunteer team.
Step 6: Attend training sessions for your role.
Step 7: Begin your role as a member of our amazing volunteer team!
If you have any questions please email email@example.com