Share your love of the natural world with others by joining the Beaty Biodiversity Museum’s volunteer team!
The Beaty Biodiversity Museum is a public museum dedicated to enhancing the public’s understanding and appreciation of biodiversity, and making the research conducted by the scientists of UBC’s Biodiversity Research Centre more accessible to the public. Volunteers play a vital role in helping the museum achieve this mission.
Why Volunteer at the Beaty?
- Work with experienced museum staff, UBC biodiversity researchers, and like-minded volunteers
- Learn about biodiversity and current research through training and development opportunities
- Invitations to special volunteer appreciation events and ongoing training opportunities
- Receive complimentary admission to the museum, along with other discounts and perks
- Enhance your resume, and gain references after reaching a minimum number of hours
Am I Eligible?
- Minimum age: you must be at least 16 years old
- Commitment: varies based on each opportunity, but in general, we expect a minimum of four, 4.5 hour shifts per month
- Screening and training: you must be able to participate in a face-to-face interview and attend a training session, see the position descriptions for dates and times.
- Communication requirements: for all positions that interact with the public, you must feel comfortable speaking English. Volunteers are expected to actively start conversations with visitors.
- You must be willing to obtain a criminal record check
Current Volunteer Opportunities
Museum Education Volunteers
Museum volunteers engage visitors in the wonder of biodiversity through discussions and activities, and answer questions about the museum, its collections, and its research. Volunteers represent the museum on the floor daily and occasionally provide support for special museum events and lectures. Volunteers are almost always stationed inside the Beaty Biodiversity Museum, and interact with visitors during open hours.
Click here for the full position description.
Applications accepted from August 19, 2016 through September 26, 2016.
How do I apply?
Step 1: Check our current volunteer opportunities to find a volunteer role that fits your skills and interests.
Step 2: Complete the online volunteer application form before the deadline.
Step 3: You will see a confirmation that we have received your application. If there is a suitable volunteer opportunity for you, we will contact you by email to set up a time for a group face-to-face interview.
Step 4: Attend the group interview.
Step 5: If we are able to match your skills and interests with an existing volunteer position, you will be invited to join our volunteer team.
Step 6: Attend training sessions for your role.
Step 7: Begin your role as a member of our amazing volunteer team!
If you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org